Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Essentials of Eileen's Recipes

Everyone loves it. Except for Pasta al Vodka and Linguini with Pesto Genovese and Spaghetti with Quahogs, "Mom's Rice" is without doubt my most requested recipe. I make many variations on my Basic Brown Rice Pilaf so it comes out different every time.

I always start by sautéing garlic, onion, and perhaps carrot in a small amount of olive oil until the vegetables are soft. Then I add and sauté the rice plus tasty tidbits like pinoli, almonds or other nuts. Finally I add without sautéing, vegetables like green beans cut into 1 inch lengths. Almost any vegetable will do. My favorite vegetable additions are: carrots, artichoke and/or broccoli stems sliced thin. Then, I finish off with dried cranberries, raisins or dried apricots and some herb like Thyme or Herbes de Provence. I then pour in broth or water.

Midway through cooking I often add vegetables which need less cooking, such as some diced up bottled artichokes which have been drained of oil, cut up asparagus, red pepper. Sometimes I add cut up tomato. It's always good.

For liquids, I prefer home made chicken or vegetable broth. If necessary, I use canned. But check that there is NO or low Sodium! I mix broth with vegetable water which I save (come le nonne dell'epoca prima della guerra ;-), homemade chicken broth, or just plain water.

The rice is served with fresh plain non-fat yogurt. Sprinkle with herbs. Dessert is cut up fresh fruit.

For sides, steam up a mass of vegetables. Add cut up raw vegetables. Arrange all on a platter. It will look pretty. Let people serve themselves. You can give them a bottle of Paul Newman's dressing. Alternately flavor vegetables and salad with a bit of oil and vinegar or with Mrs. DASH seasoning and yogurt.

Season a bunch of chicken breasts with Mrs. DASH, grill them, slice them up and serve on a bed of steamed spinach. Buy lots of chicken breasts on the bone and use the bones to make your chicken broth.

Yellow vegetables like winter squash are good. Peel and cube them and cook a lot up at once. I even add those to the vegetable platter.

As for the rice I would double the recipe because it heats up fine. Perfect for lunches. Cook up some salmon and other fish.

Rice recipes using the Revere Meal'n Minutes Electronic Pressure Cooker have been my inspiration. To cook them in a normal cooker, just increase the cooking.

No comments: